COVID-19 Facility Information:
Currently the Public Works Customer Service office is open to the public. We are allowing one customer at a time in the lobby, and face coverings are required .
If you need assistance please call (413) 572-6226 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The mission of the department of public works is to preserve the integrity of the infrastructure in the City of Westfield through effective management and operation. Our goal is to serve the approximate 41,000 residents and ensure their safety.
The Department of Public Works is comprised of the following divisions:
- Administration: Oversees department personnel, staffing, accounting, and clerical needs. Provides customer service to the residents of Westfield in regards to all Department matters.
- Highway: Provides for the repair and maintenance of the highway and sidewalk system located throughout the community. Through effective programs, including patching, crack filling, sweeping, pavement management, street and regulatory sign replacement, crosswalk and line painting, in addition to the care and maintenance of our own vehicles. All administrative functions are assigned to this division.
- Land & Natural Resources: Responsible for the maintenance and repair of all city parks, including all school athletic fields. In addition, tree management and care are also provided on a daily basis.
- Parks & Recreation: Committed to enrich the quality of life through the promotion, development, and maintenance of public recreation and enrichment opportunities, park lands and related facilities.
- Refuse & Recycling: Performs the curbside collection of all waste generated by Westfield residents. Through effective programs, items are collected on a weekly basis and disposed of in the most efficient manner. This division has received high marks from the State of Massachusetts for its efforts in recycling.
- Sewer: Oversees the cleaning, repairing, and maintenance of the collection system located throughout the city with programs designed to enhance the performance of our treatment plant.
- Snow & Ice Control: During inclement weather - dedicated to providing public safety with safe and efficient treatment of our road system, through sensible salting and plowing.
- Stormwater: Responsible for the inspection, maintenance and repair of the City of Westfield's 4500 catch basins, 300 outfalls and 120 miles of storm drains and culverts that carry stormwater runoff away from city streets. The aims of this division are to reduce the amount of runoff created, reduce pollutants in the runoff, transport stormwater safely to the receiving water bodies and to ensure compliance with the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit issued by the EPA.
- Wastewater: Protects water quality and prevents pollution by providing wastewater treatment for the city's more than 8,000 wastewater customers and an average flow of 150,000 gallons of sewage per day from the Town of Southwick. This division operates & maintains the city's 6.1 million gallon per day wastewater facility, 17 sewage pumping facilities, and the Williams Riding Way Flood Control Pump Station. The division meets its EPA and MA DEP National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permit limits at our treatment plant through operator vigilance, ingenuity, system maintenance and an active industrial pre-treatment program. For more information, see the Understanding Wastewater Pamphlet and the virtual tour video link on our Wastewater Division web page.
- Water: Protects and enhances the health and economic stability of the City of Westfield and its residents through the provisioning of clean drinking water. The department is committed to providing reliable drinking water service with high quality customer service and at a reasonable cost and in an environmentally sensitive manner.
Emergency calls after hours or on weekends should be referred to the Westfield Police Department. You can call them at (413) 562-5411.