Application Forms & Fees
Filing an Application
City planning staff are available to discuss land use and development proposals in all stages of project planning, and applicants are encouraged to contact us early on. The City has also instituted pre-application reviews, including regular inter-departmental "Round Table" discussions and Zoning Determination reviews. These mechanisms promote awareness of other local permitting and may expedite the timeline by allowing many concerns to be highlighted and addressed before the formal review of a project at the public hearing, whether before the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, or City Council. Nevertheless, at least two months should be allotted for most permitting approvals.
Zoning Determination Requirement
A processed form for Zoning Determination (also referred to as a Zoning Permit) must be obtained and included with any filing for a Special Permit, Site Plan Approval or Variance. It is also required for constructing any structure or for changing or expanding the use of any building or lot (Sec. 1-10.4). The application is free and is to be filed with the Building Department.
Zoning Forms & Instructions
- Form for Zoning Determination / Zoning Permit (Building Department)
- Application for Special Permit / Site Plan / Variance / Appeal
- Filing Instructions (Planning Board)
- Petition to Amend the Zoning Ordinance or Map (City Council)
Non-Zoning Forms & Instructions
- Subdivision Application Forms (Planning Board)
- Stormwater Management Ordinance
- Stormwater Permit Filing Requirements
Other Filing Information
- Fee Schedule
- Abutters List Request (Assessors)
- Filing Deadlines (Planning Board)
- Summary of Permitting for Land Use, Development & Building Projects
Pending Applications & Amendments
Requests currently being considered by the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Appeals may be viewed online.